The Combined Federal Campaign
 
Bless the Children's Mission is to free abandoned and impoverished children from the chains of poverty by empowering them with health, shelter, educational and spiritual support so that they may become productive members of their society.

Honduras
Education Facts
Mountain Schools
School Feeding Program
John Grove Memorial Fund
Food Distribution
Aid Distribution
Clean Water
Student Scholarships
Teaching English
Children's Library
Community Library
Medical Teams
Medical Fund
Clinic Support
Elderly Care
Prison Ministry
Disaster Relief
Special Events
Nicaragua
Education Facts
Child Sponsorship
Street Children
La Chureca Dump
Africa
Sponsorship
Children at the Gates
Vietnam
Life-Saving Surgeries
Student Scholarships
Material Aid
Photos - Loading
Photos - Volunteers
Karen Hubbard's Commitment

Programs > Honduras > Education Facts


A Study of Education in Honduras

  • Honduras has among the lowest education indicators in Latin American and Caribbean Regions.

  • Honduras is the second poorest country in Central America and is among the very poorest in all the Western Hemisphere.


  • Many children are forced to leave school for work, usually permanently, at a very young age to help support their families.  For similar reasons, this connects the low level of education reached by many parents with the insecure living conditions for more than 80% of Honduras.

  • Although school is provided by the government through the 5th grade many children are unable to attend because their families can not afford uniforms and school supplies.

  • In 10 of the 18 departments Honduras is divided more than 90% of the students need to repeat grades.

  • Only 51% of children registered complete primary school. 

  • The average time it takes a child to finish first through sixth grade is 9.4 years.  This is due, in part, to the necessity of the child to contribute to the family's income.  The number of dropouts increases every year.

  • The acutest problem is that the basic educational system only covers 86.5% of school-age children, while the remaining 13.5% have no access to education

  • Poor families have almost no access to education beyond the 6th grade in Honduras.  Only 30% of all Honduran children go to High School.  The government does not provide free education past the 6th grade.

  • There are many problems in the Honduran educational system including lack of resources and schools, teacher strikes, poor teacher training and no system of teach accountability.

Please make a donation and help Honduran children
receive an education and escape the cycle of poverty.

 


Bless the Children has been working to help ensure the children of Nothern Honduras are provided their rights of proper healthcare, education and nutrition since 1994.  As such, we are well-experienced and trusted in the areas we serve.  We invite you to help these, some of the poorest children in the world, to have the means to a better life.

 

 
home :: programs :: get involved :: about us :: donate :: become a member ::
©2007-2017 Bless the Children, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Bless the Children, Inc. is a 501C3 nonprofit corporation registered with the State of Virginia, approved by the Virginia and Florida Departments of Consumer Affairs, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United Way National/International Combined Federal Campaign (CFC/Unaffiliated agencies #10016). Gifts are tax-deductible as provided by law.